Friday, January 12

Stuffed Abura Age with Sauteed Kale


We're very lucky where we live to have the largest Chinese market in Scotland practically on our doorstep. I'd seen abura age (I think that's what it's called) in a tofu cookbook I have. It's basically thin slices of deep fried tofu which can be cut open to make little tofu pockets. The tofu cookbook I have (imaginatively titled 'Tofu') recommends stuffing them with spring onions, garlic, toasted sesame seeds, and soy sauce. I had all of these things but I added a tonne more garlic, because I love garlic, and I also added some chinese leaf that I had left over from the stir fry. Once the were stuffed, they were grilled, and then cut into little triangles. I sauteed some kale to serve it with, mainly because I had some kale to use up. The kale was sauteed with a little bit of sea salt and garlic, and I served it with a serving of sweet chilli dipping sauce on the side. Not sure if a sweet chilli dipping sauce is really what should have been served with it, but I liked it, so it was all good.

It was a really quick and easy to put together meal but when it all came together it looked deceptively impressive.

ETA - I was just looking through the pictures I had of this and for some reason I had uploaded the worst picture I had, so I changed it. This one's a lot better.

Gary's Dish Washing Rating - 2/5

No comments: