Stuff you'll need for the filling:
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4/5 cloves garlic (I like my food really garlicky, reduce this amount if you don't share my passion)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Handful basil leaves, chopped.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
What you do:
1. First make the filling by mixing together all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Simple as. This is what mine usually looks like:
2. Now drain your tofu and pat it dry. Cut block of tofu in half like this:
3. Now, using your sharpest knife score a rectangle into one of the sides. Keep scoring deeper and deeper. Go quite far into the tofu, but not too far, as you don't want the tofu to split open.
4. Scoop out the insides of the tofu. Set aside some of the scoopy out bits.
5. Put filling in tofu. Don't overfill it, you don't want the filling to explode the tofu.
6. I sometimes put a little basil leaf on top of the filling, it probably doesn't do anything, but I'm strange like that. Put some of the scooped out tofu in the end.
7. Brush some of the remaining filling onto the outside of the tofu and cover in foil. Leave to marinate, anything over an hour is great, but it tastes fine with no marinating too.
8. Now it's time to bake. I've baked it standing up, and on it's side. It's okay on it's side as long as it's tightly wrapped in foil. This time I baked it standing up. I leave the top of the tin foil open, and wrap and excess round the back of the pan to keep it upright. This probably isn't making any sense, so here's a picture:
9. Bake at around 200 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure it hasn't fallen over.
10. Take tofu out and leave it to rest until it's cooled down a bit. Why? Well the easiest way to do the next bit is with your hands, and right now, that filling is like molten lava. I did it with tongs tonight, but I wouldn't really recommend it.
11. Right, now put the remaining mustard on a plate, and mix the flour and nutritional yeast together (on a separate plate if you like, I just use a big plate)
12. Turn on your frying pan and put some oil in it. You want to let it get really hot before you put anything in it.
13. Dip tofu in mustard, and then dredge in flour mixture.
14. Fry for a few minutes on each side. Should be nicely browned.
Got any leftover filling? Cook your vegetables in it!
Seems like a lot of instructions, but most of it involves waiting for things to happen so it's not too bad.